Eating another cake my mind went back to seeing a recipe somewhere for orange polenta cake. Searching through my recipe books and files I was still unable to find it so I resorted to searching the internet and found this recipe.
- 185g butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 220g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 150g fine polenta
- 150g self-raising flour
- 100g almond meal
- 180ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm round cake pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter, sugar, orange rind and vanilla extract for 10-12 minutes, occasionally scraping down the side of the bowl, until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Combine polenta, flour and almond meal in a bowl. Add half to the butter mixture along with half of the orange juice. Mix until well combined. Repeat with the remaining polenta mixture and orange juice.
- Pour into prepared pan. Smooth the surface. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out just clean.
- Set cake aside in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve dusted with icing sugar.
The cake worked really well except I feel that the orange flavour wasn’t quite as strong as I would have liked. Making the cake in the future I would use the zest of both oranges rather than just 2tsps. (We had also run out of vanilla extract in case that made any difference…)
I hope you give this cake a try and let me know how you find it!